The following certificates of competence can be commercially endorsed:
- RYA Advanced Powerboat Certificate of Competence
- RYA Yachtmaster Coastal Certificate of Competence
- RYA Yachtmaster Offshore Certificate of Competence
- RYA Yachtmaster Ocean Certificate of Competence
What is a commercial endorsement?
A commercial endorsement is required for work as a skipper/captain on board British flagged vessels subject to the MCA’s codes of practice.
How do I apply for a standard commercial endorsement?
Send the following items to RYA Certification, RYA House, Ensign Way, Hamble, Hampshire SO31 4YA:
- Your original certificate
- Your Professional Practices and Responsibilites certificate – more information
- A commercial endorsement application form – click here
- An ML5 or ENG1 medical fitness certificate: We can only accept the latest version of the ML5 form (currently Rev 04/12). Skippers working in category 1 or 0 waters will need the ENG1 medical. Contact the MCA for a list of approved doctors.
- A copy of your RYA Basic Sea Survival certificate or STCW Personal Survival Techniques
- RYA First Aid Certificate or other acceptable first aid certificate (only required if applying for a commercial endorsement to a Day Skipper, Powerboat Level 2 or Advanced Powerboat Course Completion Certificate).
- RYA VHF/SRC Certificate or other acceptable GMDSS Marine Radio Operator’s Certificate.
- A passport sized photo with your name on the back
- The fee
*April 2012 onwards applicants for the commercial endorsement also have to complete an online PPR course and assessment, as detailed here.