Select Page


The Superyacht Crew That Make It Happen!

The following certificates of competence can be commercially endorsed:

* RYA Advanced Powerboat Certificate of Competence
* RYA Yachtmaster Coastal Certificate of Competence
* RYA Yachtmaster Offshore Certificate of Competence
* RYA Yachtmaster Ocean Certificate of Competence

What is a commercial endorsement?

A commercial endorsement is required for work as a skipper/captain on board British flagged vessels subject to the MCA’s codes of practice.

How do I apply for a standard commercial endorsement?

Send the following items to RYA Certification, RYA House, Ensign Way, Hamble, Hampshire SO31 4YA:

* Your original certificate
* Your Professional Practices and Responsibilites certificate – more information
* A commercial endorsement application form – click here
* An ML5 or ENG1 medical fitness certificate: We can only accept the latest version of the ML5 form (currently Rev 04/12). Skippers working in category 1 or 0 waters will need the ENG1 medical. Contact the MCA for a list of approved doctors.
* A copy of your RYA Basic Sea Survival certificate or STCW Personal Survival Techniques
* RYA First Aid Certificate or other acceptable first aid certificate (only required if applying for a commercial endorsement to a Day Skipper, Powerboat Level 2 or Advanced Powerboat Course Completion Certificate).
* RYA VHF/SRC Certificate or other acceptable GMDSS Marine Radio Operator’s Certificate.
* A passport sized photo with your name on the back
* The fee
*April 2012 onwards applicants for the commercial endorsement also have to complete an online PPR course and assessment, as detailed here.

Ready to get started?

For more information, course schedules and availability contact us

Social Media

Send a message